Monday, May 31, 2010

She Could've Been Mine...

Three years ago my sister had a baby and I fell in love. Ava ended up in foster care for a year and Eric and I were considering fostering her and adopting her. My sister has a subtance abuse issue and wasn't deemed about the care for her by Social Services. I used to go over to Vancouver and visit Ava on weekends. We didn't end up taking her as I got pregnant with Aaron.

We didn't think it was right to to take on a one-year-old and a new born having no parenting experience ourselves and my other sister Susan and her husband offered to take her. So she stayed in the family and was placed with them shortly after her 1st birthday.

I had the oppertunity to look after her this weekend and I fell in love with her all over again. She is a smart and beautiful little girl. She hardly gave me any trouble. Probably because I am a new caregiver and not her "mom" as my sister Susan is. Her and her husband have 3 children of their own and have been around the parenting block a few times.

I kept thinking to myself 'What if we had taken Ava in...' and 'Parenting two toddlers isn't that bad.'


I laugh at myself now for my naivety. Saturday was okay, Sunday was another story and I had my dad to help me. I can barely keep on top of things alone with Aaron when Eric is out at sea to parent two kids solo would have me in an early grave. After 24 hours, I was exhausted. But I enjoyed myself none the less.


I love being around a little girl. She can talk and communicate things to me. Simple things; like when she is hungry and has to use the bathroom. She also has opinion on things like what shoes she prefers and dresses she likes.


My sister only sent her down with sandals as she has out grown her shoes so I took her shoe shopping at Super Store. I went for socks for her and we left with a new pair of shoes and a dress. Oh if Aaron had been a girl, my bank account would be $0.00. When he needs new clothes I head to TCP and get what is needed and we are good for a season. If I had a girl, I'd always be picking her up new clothes.


Along with talking comes questions oh the questions. Which I didn't mind. She helped me blow dry my hair while I got ready for church and she asked about each item of make-up I was applying and if she could wear some. I put a little blush on her and some sparkles (an iridescent powder by MAC) she smiled when I put the blush brush to her cheeks. You couldn’t tell she was wearing it. I said no to mascara. I am not opposed to little girls wearing make-up as long as it is minimal and innocent things like nail polish, lip gloss and blush. In another life she could’ve been mine, but that isn’t the case.

3 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Having one of each, I can definitely confirm your suspicions... there are huge differences, and one of them is that girl's clothes are more expensive and more numerous than their male counterparts.

But they are both rewarding in their own way.

Ginger said...

Yes, but now you get to be the fun aunt!

S.I.F. said...

Yes, but in this life you get to be her favorite Auntie, and that is pretty cool! :)