Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Something new

Aaron has learned something new. No he isn't walking yet - that will be In the weeks to come. He has learned how to bite, not only has he learned how to bite but he likes to bite me. How does one handle this? He has bit me before while nursing but I don't think it was intentional. He has also come up to me while I am preparing stuff at the counter and bit my leg, and I yelped out in pain and he cried because i scared him and he fell to his bum. Today he bit my arms twice while I was holding him. Both times I said "Ouch" loudly as if I was in pain (it did hurt) and said "Don't bite it hurts mommy." Both times his little lips puckered up and he cried. Oh the tears! I think I scared him when I say ouch/ow which I am trying to teach him that it hurts me so he doesn't do it. He tried to do it a third time, and I said "Don't bite mommy" and he stopped.

I am not sure if this behavior is intentional or not. He likes to chew on things as he is teething but my arm isn't an appropriate object to gnaw on. He is starting to test Eric and I when we say no. He'll look at us, and the object that he isn't suppose to touch then go for it. I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement, but I don't believe it is good to ignore the bad behavior. It needs to be addressed 100% of the time... My way of dealing with it now is to pick him up and take away from said object over and over and try to distract him. Lights have been a fascination of his for as long as I can remember. Now to get him to stop going for the lamps...

No comments: