Friday, September 17, 2010

Retail Therapy, Screaming and Weighing In

I am feeling lonely tonight. I feel trapped, alone and desolate and I am craving conversation that doesn't include a screaming toddler every other minute of the day. Despite my best efforts I have zero plans this weekend. I've called/texted all my local friends. Nada. Either everyone is working, can't afford to go out, or hasn't gotten back to me. It's times like these that I hate this god damn Island and curse Victoria and whoever put the navy here instead of Vancouver. I am trapped and have no way off unless it's by plane or boat. If the ferry ran 24-7 it would be different, but as it stands I am a slave to BC Ferries and their ridiculously high prices.

To help myself out of this funk, in true girl fashion I gave myself a dose of retail therapy. I had to go to Wal-Mart for four things: Canestan, Acidophilus, IB Profen and Milk. I could've gotten those closer to home but I'm fond of the Equate brand of Canasten.

The Children's Place happened to open recently, which happens to be by Wal-Mart. I went in looking for Aaron and walked out with stuff for my niece. She happens to be 11 months to the day older than Aaron. They don't have TCP where my sister lives . My sister is a fan of hand me downs, and the girl doesn't get new stuff often, so I indulged a wee bit. In true Swistle fashion.




I wish I had a working camera with a flash at the moment, but alas I don't. So my cell phone will have to do. I got her a pink and black stripped hoodie dress, a black skirt, pink leggings and a black head band. I got it all in 4T. It will be a bit big, but she will get a full season if not more out of it.

Now that I am back home, I don't feel much better. Aaron is cutting his god damn molars and has taken to letting out some very high pitched short squeals to voice his displeasure at life. I love the kid, but I am ready to bang my head up against the wall or take up drinking for sport. Hell I've been the gym 2X in 24 hours to get out my frustrations. Hats off to single parents, I don't know how the hell you do it and without help.

I am taking advantage of the free child minding I get 3 hours per week. I will probably run myself ragged, but I have to stay sane. Hence working out. (And my high school reunion is in one months time which may or may not have something else to do with it.)

------

I am not sure if anyone has been watching the news as of late, but hailing from the Vancouver area I have to weigh in on this. A girl was gang raped at a rave in Pitt Meadows, BC and pictures and videos of the event were posted on Facebook.

I don't say where I grew up as I don't want anyone pin pointing me via my blog, but my god I can't believe this happened. I can't imagine being 16 and have this happen to one of my peers. I can't imagine being this girl, and having my peers be interviewed for the news. It's disgusting, and despicably and a reason why things like Facebook need to be regulated. I don't know where to go with this. I am just appalled and shocked and I feel for this girl, I do. She was given the date rape drug which lead to the assault. And the damn pictures have gone viral on the Internet. I hope that this can be stopped and that everyone involved in this is caught and dealt with the the severest extent of the law.

Another issue, circulating in BC news is a former bartender who worked at the Sharks Club in Richmond, BC is taking her former employer to the Human Right Tribunal over the skimpy dress code. She feels she was violated, and put on display and sexually harassed. To this I say if you didn't feel comfortable sporting cleavage and baring your legs why the hell did you apply there?!

When you walked in there and applied and had your interview did you not notice the short skirts and cleavage? If your not comfortable wearing such clothes, then don't apply in establishments where servers sport such attire!

Take it from someone who has applied in all sorts of establishments and would really like to waitress, but with no waitressing experience, nobody will hire me. If applied at Cactus Club, Earls or the Sharks Club, I'd expect to be wearing stuff that reveals my T&A. If I couldn't handle the dress code, I wouldn't apply let alone accept the job!


1 comment:

S.I.F. said...

That story is horrific! Makes my stomach churn!