Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Common Sense

Either you've got it or you don't. I like to think that i have it myself. This dawned on me while I was doing re-washing the laundry that Eric had done. When I opened the dryer there was WAY to much in there, when I smelled the load it didn't smell clean. When I looked at the washer the water capacity setting was set to medium and it goes as high as super. Which means that the clothes may have gotten wet but not washed. Hence the re-washing. Eric doesn't treat stains. I don't unless I know it needs it. As I was treating the mud stains on his jeans (that had been washed and dried therefore the stain had set) from golfing the common sense issue came to me. Why do I let him bother with the laundry? It doesn't always have to re-washed but it annoys when things I have to re-done. He knows how to do laundry. Before I moved in with him 2 years ago everything went in one wash and was washed in cold water as the hot water didn't work on his washing machine which never occurred to him to have it fixed. He asks me over and over what temperature of water do you use to wash whites,(hot)darks,(cold) and colors (warm or cold). He knows. Now it occurred to me that with common sense either you have it or you don't. Clearly when you it comes to laundry he doesn't or it can be chalked up to him being a guy and/or lazy.

No one one taught me how to do laundry, cook, clean, do my hair and make-up. I taught/learned myself. Why is this? As I was raised by my dad from the time I was 6. Which brings in the common sense thing. Something my father just doesn't have. He taught me to have a relaxed view on life. If I tried my best in school that was good enough for him. He would pull me out often for trips and day outings which further instilled a relaxed lifestyle in me. In high school I often slept in or was late. Because I was/am lazy. Despite this I have a good work ethic and strong attendance at work. Which brings me back to common sense. If you don't work hard, you don't get a raise or worse you don't get to keep your job. The common sense thing I got. I learned from cause and effect. When I was working at McDonald's in high school, if I did a piss poor job I only got one 4 hour shift a week. If I busted my ass I got 25 hours/week. I learned.

I don't know where this is coming from but I know that if I want a clean house I need to do it myself. I am not a good housewife, I hate to clean. My attitude is it can always be done later. I'd rather sit and play with Aaron/watch TV/surf the web etc. And stuff just doesn't get done. Which I am trying to do. During Aaron's nap I folded and put away laundry, had a shower and wrote this post, which may not seem like a lot to some but for me it's a lot. It's with the weight/toning thing. I want to have a body that I can be proud of to know that if I work for it, it can happen. and it will. I managed to lose 20 lbs 5 years ago which slowly crept back and fluctuated. I have never been over that weight (Pregnancy doesn't count) since losing it. I am under my pregnancy weight and would like to stay that way. I want to tone my flabby arms and gut. Hell I want to tone my whole body. But I have to put inte effort. Which I am hoping to do. I went to the gym yesterday and put Aaron in child minding and he liked it and hardly new I was gone. It was love at first toy.
I have to watch what I eat and work out. Yes I cheat here and there it's just about portion control.when I stop breast feeding is when the real hard part starts. With breast feeding you get a bit of a free ride. Well I am off. I have baby to feed, lunch to make, more laundry to fold, cat food to buy and a jaunt to the walk-in clinic. I bid you good day.

PS - I am contemplating keeping track of my progress at the gym by posting weekly pics and measurements so that I can be accountable to someone. So I ask you dear readrer(s) good idea or bad?

No comments: