Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Afghanistan?

What comes to your mind when you hear this word? To me it's the possibility of losing a loved one. Every time I hear that another Canadian soldier has been killed on the news I cringe. Eric may volunteer to go for 6 months. Now Eric is in the navy and you might be wondering why someone in the Navy would be going to a land war? Because the Canadian Forces(Army, Navy and Air Force) are one unit with 3 divisions. Eric has been in for almost a decade and has yet to have a deployment at sea for more than 2 months despite his tenure and he wants to serve his country. As he is in the Navy the jobs which can volunteer for over there are limited. There hasn't been one Canadian Sailor killed over there as he would probably never leave the base (Khadahar airfield)but there are always firts and that's what scares me. He called me today to ask me how I felt about him volunteering and I just said ask me when you get home. We've talked about it before and I am supportive of his career but right now I don't know how I feel about being at home with a 1 year old for 6 months solo. I am ready for him to go back to sea should he be posted as he wold most likely not be gone more than a few weeks at a time. But 6 months? My goodness.. Thousands of wives do it everyday with more kids than me so I am sure I can. It would fly by and I would survive.

No comments: