Wednesday, March 11, 2009

No Queer Eye For This Straight Gurl

I like to the gym. I like going to the gym for many reasons. I get time to myself, I can listen to cheesy 80's music on my ipod and no one cares. I can ponder the meaning of life. Most of the time after a good cardio session I feel good about myself and I have more energy. A big bonus about going to the gym is that it's okay for me the check out other guys. Admit it, you do to. The only problem I have is that the gym that I go to has a healthy gay community. Which is great, it just means that the guy I'm checking out in the free weight area may not reciprocate the checking out. Usually my gaydar is pretty good. But then again most of my contact with gay people has been in the work place where I find it quite easy to get to know people especially in close quarters; which isn't the case at the gym. *Sigh* I just want to fully enjoy fine specimen of men at the gym.

This brings me to my next point. If you're anything like me, as a female I'm preprogrammed to constantly compare.myself.to.other.females. When I'm in the cardio room I'll be looking around thinking she's more toned/tanned/fit/muscular/prettier/flabbier/has a firmer ass/ than me. Being that my gym has a healthy gay community I don't know if the chick I am inadvertently comparing myself to is (a) gay and thinking I'm checking her out or (b) which is even more awkward is she's straight and thinks I'm gay and checking her out. I guess common gym etiquette would be to keep my eyes to myself. At least that's what I do in the change room.

No comments: