Thursday, July 15, 2010

Egg Donor Disclosure

I picked up my forms from the fertility clinic yesterday and have to complete them and drop them off before my initial appointment next week.

These are some of the questions I have to answer.

1. Are you comfortable with the intended parents (IPs) having access to your medical history ?

-Yes.

2. Are you comfortable with the IPs knowing your name(s)

-No

3. Would you like to know the names of the Intended parents

-No

4. Would you like to know the outcome of this cycle ( i.e. if successful pregnancy occurred )

-Yes

5. Would you be agreeable to any children resulting from this cycle, once they reach age 18 years, being given access to your identity ?

-Undecided.

Would you be agreeable to being contacted by the IPs in the case of a medical emergency. e.g. if the child required a bone marrow transplant !

-In a heart beat!!


Question 5 really has me wavering. My initial response was to say no. I do not want any children resulting in this cycle knowing my name. What if said child(ren) wants to forge a relationship with me or shows up at my door out of the blue? This isn't something I want to deal with in the future. But then again I believe everyone has a right to know about their history.

Another thing I wonder about is if I want to know the IP's names or not. I may say no now, but then part of me might wonder and it might eat at me every time I see a pregnant woman or a new mom and baby. Victoria is too damn small for my liking. I wish I could donate in a bigger city or part of the country so the likelihood of running into any future offspring is almost impossible.

***TMI warning for men.***

I have my appointment next week. For the first time ever I will be probed down there. I will be getting a vagisound. And I do most things with a bang the first time, as I will be on my period next week it will be a blast for sure. I told the clinic this and they said it wasn't an issue. The whole probing thing doesn't bug me I just find ironic for what time of the month my initial appointment was set for.

1 comment:

athena said...

very difficult decisions.. you're doing great so far! but yeah.. that one is a struggle! the clinic we went to was totally anonymous.. and i wasn't sure how i felt about that. it's so emotionally complicated.
oh and the internal ultrasound.. no biggie, i've had about twenty thousand! good luck! :)