Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What I Managed To Avoid My Entire Pregnancy...

***I don't know what's up with blogger, but it won't accept spaces between my paragraphs at the bottom of my post and I've tried to edit it 3X amd I am tired. *** I picked some up today.

I managed to avoid having to use this product my ENTIRE pregnancy. I can proudly say, that I do not even know what a hemorrhoid looks like. And it isn't something I intend to google.


I was told that Preparation H is a good ointment to apply to my tattoos as per the after care instructions.

What I've found is that every artist, every studio seems to have a different opinion on tattoo aftercare. It's maddening.

I have been talking to a few different artists and studios and I've been searching Dr. Google.

I was told by my artist to wash it after a few hours with a mild soap then start using Lubiderm, Vaseline Intensive Care Moisturizer (free of scents or dyes) or Preparation H and to not get it wet until it's completely healed. I was checking out the ingredients on the Prep H and low an behold it has fragrance listed on the ingredients. Seriously WTF? Why is fragrance needed in a cream that is meant to shrink appendages on your ass? If you have said appendages you certainly shouldn't be down there and neither should anybody else for that matter.

Some artists or it seems to be the case here, encourage you to wash your tattoo 2 - 3 times per day with a mild soap and to not break out the Lubiderm until day 3.
I've been told "Water will fuck it up." "Showers are good for it." "It's okay to get it a little wet." "Water is evil to a tattoo."
One thing that is a general consensus is that submerging the tattoo in water be it by swimming, bathing or lounging in a hot tub is a no no.
So I don't know if I should be showering, not showering, washing it with a mild soap 2-3 times a a day and avoiding moisturizer until day 3 (Is that the third day of having my tattoo which would be today? Or 72 hours after getting it which would put me into tomorrow?)
GAH!
So far I've been washing 2-3 times per day with a mild soap (Pears for those of you that might be interested), patting them dry with a clean towel and I avoided moisturizers until last night when it got itchy and dry and I used one of Aaron's Aveeno scent free ones. The today I broke down and bought the Preparation H as per this site your to put an anti bacterial ointment (which I realize it is not, but was a compromise on what I was told and what I have researched) on it for 2-3 days then break out the Lubiderm on Day 3. So maybe I've fucked up my healing process I hope not.
My first two tattoos I remember washing it off and moisturizing then with Vaseline Intensive Care. I was all gung ho to do to do that in 2005 when I got my third tattoo on a whim with a friend when we were on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. That we washed 2X a day with a mild soap and used Vitamin E cream. (She used Vitamin oil and hers healed poorly. Probably due to the lack of her skin being able to breath because of the oil) I'll keep up with the Prep H Ointment until tomorrow, and bust out the Lubiderm until they heal.
Obviously there is more than one right way to do something just as there is usually more than one way to get from point A to B.
Another thing that is maddening about this tattoo thing is that I can't work out. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! As the sweat will irritate it. I was planning on starting up at te gym again as I find exercise helps me stabilize my moods and I went off of my antidepressants for the egg donation. I've settled for light excerises that don't induce sweating. Like long walks on the beach.
***As a disclaimer I am not giving any tattoo aftercare advice, I am just writing about my experience this time around***
P.S. This is my 100th post on this blog. Happy 100th Post Birthday to me!

2 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

The blogger thing could be an issue with the editor settings... are you using the new editor? If so, try expanding the stuff at the bottom and messing around there a little.

As for tattoo care, I was always told shower/soak bad, patting with a damp cloth good, and use bactine or some other anti-bacterial OINTMENT not cream. But that's just what I was told.

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Haven't heard the Preparation H recommendation before. My guy told me to use antibacterial ointment first and then lubriderm. Mine have healed nicely. As you say, there's more than one way to do these things!