Friday, November 5, 2010

Another Post Brought To You By Courtesy of Friday

It's Friday night and I find myself blogging. As per usual for me. So we've had a busy week. I need to find a job ASAP. We've decided on a day care for Aaron. I want the spot, even if it means going back to being a grocery store cashier in the interim. As a family of three on one income, we can afford it, but things would definitely be tight.

I've always maintained whatever I end up doing for work, I need to make at least double what day care costs to justify it. Of all the day cares I've viewed and interviewed in the last 2 years, this is by far my favourite and meets my expectations which are high. Surprisingly, it isn't the most expensive either.

The day care we viewed on Wednesday gave me a bad feeling from the start. We were early for our appointment, I found the staff to be rude, and nobody bothered to introduced themselves while we waited for the lady who was giving us the tour. I've walked up to day cares without an appointment to get warm greetings from staff and a tour. Aaron wanted to leave right away and went straight for the door. He ended up having a tantrum of all tantrums and Eric had to take him out so I could finish the tour on my own. I may have had some preconceived notions based on some feedback I had gotten, but I really tried to go in with an open mind. I just got a bad feeling all around. The toys were put away and brought out throughout the day, and I really didn't care for that. The space was huge, but isn't the size that counts. It's how they use it. Even for day cares.

The one we've decided on all Aaron wanted to do was play with toys and we had a hard time prying him away. I have no reservations about Happy Land daycare or the staff. (I so just made this name up on the spot.)

We want Aaron in day care as we feel it will benefit him where we can't. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around my son being in daycare full time. I wish I could work part-time but finding a part time day care spot and job is next to impossible. If I end up working part-time, I'll keep him home on my days off. I never thought I'd be a stay-at-home-mom for so long, it just worked out this way. A recession doesn't bode well for one in a smaller city. The timing couldn't have been worse for a recession, but such is life.

I really hope that I get this job I interviewed for. It's a good company that pays well (I think). The job its self could be wearing, if I let it. I don't know what to call the position interviewed for. I guess escalation help desk would be the correct term. I wish I had gotten the email address for the lady that interviewed me so that I could send her a follow up letter. Stupid, stupid.

I wonder how all this with play into being an egg donor. As Mike and Liz are switching clinics to the one here of course their is a wait for a their consult. Which has bumped things back further, but from my dealings and Liz's dealing she gets a better feeling from the clinic here.

 If/when I am employed I don't know what to tell my future employer. I figure I'll just I have say day surgery, which egg retrieval is. I don't want to get into the nitty gritty of my personal life. I though of saying I am doing an IVF cycle but then they will think I am trying to conceive and may terminate me before my three month probation. Then if I say I am a donor, I'll get lots of questions or weird looks. I am open about what I am doing to friends and people I know well, but I don't think it's an appropriate course of discussion with a new employer. I plan on saying that I was bumped on the wait list and spot became available. It's plausible. But all the appointments leading up the retrieval is what scares me, I don't want to appear to be a slacker so new into a job. GAH. I guess there is no point in worry about it now.

I am tired so I think I best be getting to bed. I am sure Aaron will be up coughing at some point, and I'll be a worried mama and up. I hope his cold goes away soon.

1 comment:

S.I.F. said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that he can get into this daycare!!